So many tourists at the first time wonder why motorcycles are popular in Vietnam. We have to say that the traffic is sometimes not as good as in Western countries, though, Vietnam is a developing nation and it can solve the problem despite its poor conditions. Let’s have a positive look at Vietnam traffic to enjoy Vietnam better.
- DIVERSE :
Walking on the streets you can see it just looks like a rock ballad concert with various means of transport such as motorbikes, bicycles, taxis and pedestrians moving along the streets. So keep calm and enjoy Vietnam.
These are some tip to help you enjoy the traffic in Vietnam:
- Having faith on your riders/ drivers skill
- Waiting for a local person and becoming their shadow when you want to cross the street
- Don’t fear the horn. In Vietnam. When somebody uses the horn, it is just a way to say “ Hello “.
- Keep your wits about you and move slowly but surely. Do not hesitate. Being on scooters, most riders are able to predict your movements accurately and avoid your safety, but not if you stop and start unsurely – and whimpering in fear will do you no favor at all.
2. FLEXIBLE AND ECONOMICAL :
About 95 percent of registered vehicles are motorbikes or scooters, not many cars, which is suitable to Vietnam’s situation with many narrow streets. With motorbikes or scooters, it is much easier for riders to go into tiny alleys which exist a lot in Vietnam. You can go everywhere with your motorbikes and have no need to park your car far away wasting time to walk to your target.
Motorbikes are used to carry everything – you can see comical/ scary loads that elsewhere would require a van to transport safely. Sometimes, you can see a whole family of four crammed onto a single motorbike. It is a good way to save time and money instead of having to rent a van to transport things, or go back to carry more things or need to buy a car for the whole family.
Using motorbikes is also a good way to save space, because there is no space to park hundreds of thousands of new cars. Moreover, the government applied a high tax on the car and only rich citizens can afford one.
The tax is about 200 percent of the price of the car.
The traffic in Vietnam has been improving and becoming much better day by day. Infrastructure has been upgraded a lot, street signals and traffic lights have been added more and more on the streets.